Though it’s still in the works, the 2012 World of Bluegrass in Nashville, September 24-30, 2012, already includes an enticing itinerary of unforgettable bluegrass events: a star-studded Fan Fest featuring more than 60 acts, headlined by The Del McCoury Band; intriguing panel discussions and presentations in the week-long business conference; and a very special 40th anniversary celebration of Will The Circle Be Unbroken, a landmark recording that helped put bluegrass music on the international map.
Produced by the International Bluegrass Music Association, World of Bluegrass is a cornerstone event that draws casual fans, working musicians, and industry tradespeople for a week that includes something for everybody in the bluegrass community: a business conference, trade show, panel discussions, tributes, masters’ workshops, a fiddle contest, a golf outing, an awards show, a festival, and jamming all week long.
Some of bluegrass music’s superstars will appear in the tribute sessions, panel discussions, and educational seminars being planned for the WOB business conference.
- Monday, 9/24, at 1:30 p.m., the conference kicks off with a keynote speech by Missy Raines and Chris Jones.
- The week continues with a session on Creative Music Arrangement featuring Sam Bush, Jerry Douglas, Bill Evans, and moderator Harry Stinson.
- Claire Lynch, Buddy Greene, Ricky Skaggs, and Chris Jones will participate in The Doc Watson Hour, remembering the late guitar innovator with some of his own music.
- An intriguing session called Pioneers & Explorers will feature musicians Pete Wernick, Tim Stafford, and Sierra Hull as they embark on a musical adventure that compares and contrasts traditional and progressive bluegrass styles.
- “Doug's Tune”: Remembering Doug Dillard will include memories and stories from Kathy Chiavola, John McEuen, and Rodney Dillard.
- Wednesday, 9/26, from 1:30-3:30 p.m., IBMA’s World of Bluegrass business conference will include a celebration, discussion and Q&A session dedicated to Will The Circle Be Unbroken. Released in 1972, this landmark recording brought Mother Maybelle Carter, Doc Watson, Earl Scruggs, Merle Travis, Vassar Clements, Bashful Brother Oswald Kirby, Norman Blake, Jimmy Martin, Roy Acuff, and others into a studio with the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, a popular country-folk-rock group, to record a triple album that made music history. The recording was an irresistible bridge to bluegrass and traditional country music for rock audiences. Hosted by John McEuen of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, the celebration will also feature remarkable, rarely-seen photographs of the recording sessions, most shot by producer William McEuen.
World of Bluegrass ends each year on a high note with Fan Fest, a huge three-day indoor bluegrass concert at the Nashville Convention Center from Friday, 9/28 - Sunday, 9/30. More than 60 acts, all donating their performances, will appear at the event. This year’s lineup, still in progress, already includes…
The Del McCoury Band
Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver
The Steep Canyon Rangers
Russell Moore & IIIrd Tyme Out
Jesse McReynolds & Virginia Boys Reunion
Junior Sisk & Ramblers Choice
Claire Lynch Band
Lonesome River Band
The Nashville Bluegrass Band
Dale Ann Bradley
Michael Cleveland & Flamekeeper
The Skip Cherryholmes Quintet
The Sleepy Man Banjo Boys
Josh Williams Band
Sierra Hull & Hwy 111
Charlie Sizemore Band
The Bankester Family